Pictured above: Richard Lalley with two of the 300 children who received new coats last winter as a result of Operation Warm’s $1,000 Acting Up award.
Edited by: Sonya Lewis
May 4, 2018
Richard Lalley is development director for Operation Warm, a national organization with an office in Chicago, that provides brand new winter coats to children in need.
Richard coordinated Operation Warm brainstorm lunches for their On the Table gatherings in 2016 and 2017, and he’s excited about hosting for a third round in 2018. Richard describes his table experiences as energetic, dynamic and collaborative. Each year the theme is the same, creative ways to improve our communities through gifting new coats to more disadvantaged children living in Chicago.
Last year, you won an Acting Up award. How did you use your award?
“In 2017, Operation Warm received a $1,000 Acting Up award to help fund an idea that was born at our table discussion: a program and partnership with the Chicago Public Library to bring economically disadvantaged children and their families into neighborhood libraries. We combined the Acting Up award with grants from Union Stagehands Local #2 and area Rotary and Kiwanis clubs. As a result, 300 children received new winter coats and two new books for their in-home library.”
Pictured above: Richard Lalley of Operation Warm, 2018 On the Table host.
Who did you invite to your On the Table this year, and where will it be?
“Operation Warm will again host On the Table for our Chicagoland community of funders, beneficiaries and fans at Wells Fargo, 10 S. Wacker.”
Why would you recommend On the Table to others?
“Here are five reasons:
- Our On the Table gatherings are brainstorm lunches and they have been an excellent forum to collaborate with our supporters to come up with new ideas to provide coats to more disadvantaged children.
- Operation Warm is headquartered in Pennsylvania. Our involvement in On the Table raises our organization’s profile in the great Chicago philanthropy community.
- On the Table is a great time to personally engage with your community of funders, beneficiaries, donors, and fans. That’s our number one goal.
- Acting Up awards… Following our 2017 table, we applied and received an Acting Up award that enabled us to partially fund the “warm the hearts and minds of children” pilot program with Chicago Public Libraries.
- It’s easy… ‘just do it’!”
Pictured above: Operation Warm staff with On the Table guests.